Full course description
BPCC's OnDemand Introduction to COBOL course is self-paced and is designed to help participants learn the basics of COBOL programming.
Important: Please note that this is a non-credit course that does not provide academic credit.
Self-paced. The course includes 8 modules and 8 video lectures with each approximately one hour in length.
As a result of this course participants should have an understanding of the following:
- How to code, compile and debug a COBOL program
- How data files are created, read and maintained.
- How to work with sequential and indexed files
- How to create screen input and write the output
- How to extract data from existing COBOL files into a text file format for migration to another platform
Juanita Venable, Senior Programmer/Analyst, has been a COBOL programmer for nearly thirty years. Before coming to Bossier Parish Community College, Ms. Venable worked in the private sector writing software for handling business transactions in the areas of accounts payable/receivable, general ledger, invoicing, payroll, inventory control, purchasing, barcoding, criminal records systems, clerk of court records and file conversions. Ms. Venable currently works as supervisor to the other programmers at the college.